Reasons Why I Love Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

1:28 PM


I've always been a fan of Korean Dramas because of their unique storylines and (of course hihi) the hot male leads. 😍 They are known to have the hottest and cutest guys which makes the show very enjoyable.


Recently, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo was introduced to me by my sister. She told me that her friends said that this drama was really good and they found the female protagonist as cute and pretty. Intrigued, I searched for its trailer. To my surprise, I found it contradicting. 😐 The girl looked unpleasant!! Don't get me wrong. Lee Sung Kyung is really pretty but in this particular show, her hair was cut short and she was supporting a very weird fashion sense.


Due to this, I became skeptical of the show. I honestly didn't think it would turn out good. It's actually a good thing that my sister was persuasive, otherwise I would have missed a good show.

So for those of you who haven't watched this, I'm going to share some of the things that made me love Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo.

Kim Bok Joo


Ironically, I liked Kim Bok Joo, the female protagonist of the show. She may look crazy, unfashionable, manly, strong, etc. but the show wouldn't be complete without her antics. In the show, she embodied a regular woman (unlike other dramas wherein the female lead is skinny and goddess-like). Like us, she also LOVES food. They even made a technique on how to eat a lot of grilled meat!

Source: https://jennywatcheskdramas.wordpress.com/2017/02/04/5-things-i-learned-from-weightlifting-fairy-kim-bok-joo/

To make matters worse, she eats her food like a person starved for days.


Even though it's far from being prim and proper, I liked her for acting that way because I can relate to her 100%. 🐷 HAHA!! And of course, due to her great appetite, her figure is far from model-like women. This, I'm pretty sure most of us could relate to. Her body is more muscular and "bulky" (but only her clothes looked bulky in the show) due to weightlifting. Because of that, a great number of guys are not attracted to her.

Focus on Personality

Even though everything about her physically discourages most guys, the hottie swimmer Joon Hyung (Nam Joo Hyuk) still developed feelings for her. He fell for her inner beauty. This is also one of the things I loved about this show. They focused on Kim Bok Joo's personality.


There were scenes that showed and promoted that physical beauty is nothing if your personality is trash. There were several instances that those gymnasts (pretty but nasty in the show) were a source of irritation mainly because of their twisted morals. They were very much different from the weightlifting trio.

Happy Three Friends

The happy trio, composed of Kim Bok Joo (Lee Sung Kyung), Lee Sun Ok (Lee Joo Young), and Jung Nan Hee (Cho Hye Jung), are also one of the reasons why I loved this drama. Their friendship and "swag" is something to be jealous of.

*this is the trio's most famous line*

They are extremely close and considers each other as sisters. They are together through thick and thin and that's very rare in reality.

Cute Couple

Another thing that I loved was the chemistry between Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk. They are REALLY CUTE together!!


I just couldn't help but smile when their scenes came. They always tease each other then become lovey-dovey the next second. And the good thing is that they look completely normal. They're not the kind of couple who looks overly romantic and does all this out of the world things just to make your heart flutter. They're just a simple couple that greatly enjoys the company of each other.

Light Drama

All of the these contributed to the dramas light and simple structure. Unlike other dramas, the story of this is not complicated which is perfect to lighten up your mood. Another thing that I loved about this is the humor. I was literally laughing out loud from start to finish. It's not like the usual dramas wherein all the comedy parts were shown in the first half then the next part is sad and serious. Yes, there were also sad scenes but overall it was funny from episode 1 to 16.

So if you haven't seen Weightlifting Kim Bok Joo, I suggest for you to go and watch it now. 

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I think her awkward sense of style and dress, make her super cute and endearing. I would love to check this show out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this show. Your description of it sounds like it could be something I would watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of this show before! Though your description makes me think this will be what pulls me into the KDrama Wave.

    Sophie | MapleTreeBlog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like shows that have characters that are more relatable. It sounds like a really cute show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an interesting show. The name is different. I thought you were actually talking about weightlifting, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of the show before, but it sounds really cute! I could definitely see myself watching it.

    Beth || www.TheStyleBouquet.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this show before. It sounds quite interesting though. There's so much poor content out there these days. This might be refreshing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have watched this show before and just love it. As you can tell I am Asian so my family keep me updated. Thank you fr sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Kim Bok Joo and I have something in common... We both eat like we were starving for days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not familiar with Asian dramas...and I have difficulty keeping up with subtitles and focusing on the images on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this before. It looks interesting enough. I'd watch it If I knew it was on.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram